Although it feels like the "silly season" this time of year is about making space for mindful moments that will become treasured future memories. The magic of this season is in the precious time spent together, enjoying the simple things like cooking, sharing and creating.
Today we are excited to share with you a simple recipe that you can create with your little one, made even better by the fact that they double as Christmas Decorations (that is, if they don't get gobbled up first!).
We are always striving to make more conscious choices, so whilst we all enjoy a few extra treats this time of year this recipe is refined sugar free and made with minimal ingredients. For our decorations we used a vegan white chocolate made from plant based ingredients, but you can get as festive as you like - sprinkles, dried cranberries, dark chocolate... whatever you might have in the cupboard.
1/4 cup rice flour
250 g softened butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
Optional: Vegan white chocolate (We used Pana)
Baking paper and tin
Ribbon or twine
1. Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth creamy in colour. Add maple syrup and beat until well combined.
2. Sift plain flour and rice flour into the mixture and mix with a spoon until it comes together in a soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. This doesn’t have to be too perfect so little ones can join in here too.
4. Once dough has come together put the dough back into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for approximately 30 mins. In the meantime preheat your oven to 160°C.
5. After dough has chilled, place back onto a floured surface and using a rolling pin roll the dough out to about 1cm thick.
6. Cut out your shapes with cookie cutters place on a lined baking tray. Before placing them in the oven use a skewer to create a hole to thread your string through.
7. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
8. Cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile, melt your white chocolate with your preferred method.
9. Once melted carefully pour into a piping bag, check to see the cookies are cool to touch and have fun decorating your cookies together!
10. The final step... once your decorations have set tie ribbon or twine through the hole you created so that you can hang your decorations.
We hope you enjoy making these with your little loved ones. Please share your creations with us on Instagram by mentioning @pekpi_ when you post!